Thursday, June 11, 2015

Healthy Stuffed Peppers

When I lived in Romania, I fell in love with stuffed peppers and stuffed cabbage. I could have eaten it everyday! I brought home lots of traditional spices with me, but I have finally run out after 7 years of hoarding them!! This is a great recipe for those that are looking for a lower calorie option, but still want yummy comfort food. 




These do need to bake in the oven-- but I think you could prep them all and then put them in the crock pot if its just too hot to turn on your oven during these summer months. You could let them cook for 3-4 hours in the crock and they would be totally yummy too!



Brown Turkey on stove top. Chop pepper tops and zucchini and add to turkey in sauce pan.



 I always steam my peppers a bit so they are soft and dreamy-like.





 In a large mixing bowl, mix browned turkey and veggies, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Bell seasoning, canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and one cup cooked rice. Mix well. 




Fill each pepper all the way up. If you have extra filling just put it in the baking dish with the peppers! Put a sprinkle of cheese on each pepper, if you'd like. Cook at 375 for 45mins, or until cheese is golden. Garnish with sour cream. Each pepper comes in at about 350 calories!! Serve with broccoli and more cheese and you have a great meal for under 500 calories! Enjoy!









Garnish with sour cream, and some Parmesan (if you want!). Each pepper comes in at about 350 calories!! Serve with broccoli and more cheese and you have a great meal for under 500 calories! Enjoy!








Stuffed Peppers Ingredient List


1lb lean ground turkey 
4-5 bell peppers
1 small zucchini
1 cup cooked long grain brown rice
Fire roasted canned tomatoes
1 heaping tbsp Bell seasoning 
1/4 cup tomato sauce
Salt/Pepper/Garlic powder to taste
Cheese/sour cream to garnish 

1 comment:

I love hearing from you! Thanks for stopping by!